Monday, November 21, 2011

Mystery Skull and About Skunks

Hi! Today I am going to talk about my mystery skull. Well let me tell you more details of the story. I was watching T.V. I was watching Nickelodeon and Spongebob Squarepants was on. We were watching Mr.Crabs talk to Spongbob when my dad came inside the house with muddy boots and leaves on his shirt and he had a rake in one hand. He also was sweating. We looked at him. He said," I found an animal skull in the backyard." I got out of the couch and grabbed my flip-flops. My sister wasn't paying attention she didn't even listen because she was staring at the T.V. My Dad and I went on the deck and down the stairs and then we both ran to the fountain I have and we ran down a dirty hill and right beside a tree was a skull. My dad had gloves on so he picked it up and put it on a table in our backyard. I said", I will ask Mom if we could keep it and put it in a jar." So I ran to the house and asked mom and she said yes and I grabbed a big jar and we put it in. Then we looked at it. My sister and my mom and my dad and me all looked at it. Then I put it on my desk in my room. Then I went to my dad who was searching for his Ipad. Then he found it upstairs on his counter by his bed. So he took it and we did research on it to find the right skull for the skull we had. Then we found it! It was a CAT skull! It looked like a year old and we don't know how it died. It could have died from disease or got eaten from a predator or it died from old age. We don't know but we are going to keep it.


Now lets talk about skunks. You know skunks spray a stinky smell? Well you want to know how much the stink lasts? It lasts about weeks or months but it depends on how much you get sprayed. Also the spray goes about 10-15 feet I think. Also skunks weigh about 2.5 - 14 pounds and are 13 - 18 inches long but excluding the tail. Skunks have 1 stripe that goes to the face then it splits into 2 stripes on the back then goes back to 1 stripe on the tail. The rest of the body is black and it's eyes are black like the body. They are omnivores and munch on mostly insects like grasshoppers, beetles and crickets. It also eats earthworms, snails, crayfish, wasps and ants. It also eats frogs and small mammals which includes voles, squirrels, mice, moles and rats. They also eat bird eggs. They also eat plants like blackberries, raspberries, black cherries, blueberries, grains, corn and nuts. They also like to scavenge in garbage cans for leftover food left over from humans. Sometimes they eat pet food. They even eat bees to get bees they have fur that protects them from bee stings. Also it is common for skunks to dig holes in backyards to find food. Lots of skunks live in North America. They live in South Canada from Nova Scotia to British Columbia they also live in the United States and parts of Northern Mexico. Skunks can live in a number of habitats which includes woodlands, grasslands and agricultural lands. The skunk has increased it's range with the cutting of forests throughout North America. Skunks drink water from fountains and creeks and sometimes small rivers. They also drink water from water puddles and ponds. Skunks look cute but try not to go near one. I know you want to squash one but don't they will spray you. Also skunks have birth to about 4-7 babies before being born the mother skunk will make a den for her babies and female skunks mate only one male and that is all about skunks.


Now I have to go. Bye!




Jillian

No comments:

Post a Comment